Spiga


Trau·ma  Junk· ie  ( 'trau-m&  'j&[ng]-kE) n. Slang
  1. One who has an insatiable interest, devotion or addiction to responding and assisting people with serious injury or shock to the body, as from violence or an accident.

Announcing GenMed

When I first began blogging and Twitter back in June of 2008, I set out with a simple mission: To express my opinions and share my knowledge and experience with other students, health care professionals, and members of the general public. I wanted to offer an "inside view" at what I deal with on a daily basis. Simple enough, right?

Well, shortly after I joined Twitter, I found out my true mission. My passion, if you will. As time progressed and I met and spoke to some amazing people with a similar goal in mind, I realized that not only did I want to touch other people through my writings, but that I wanted to make an impact on the entire health care field. (Dream big, right?)

Working in health care has opened many doors for me and taught me many things. It helped me to put my own life into perspective, while doing what I love the most-- helping other people.

All of this in mind, what happens when a group of four young people with similar goals and interests in mind, get together and brainstorm?


We call it GenMed (short for GenerationMedicine). What started as somewhat of a joke by the infamous MsParamedic (@MsParamedic on Twitter) on a Skype call was followed by a long pause and then a, "Hey, we can do this! Yes?" One thing led to another, and for the past few weeks the four of us have been planning our contribution to health 2.0, if you will.

So, what is GenMed? GenMed is podcast geared toward young health care professionals and students. We call it Generation Medicine because we are the "young blood" in the field and we're hoping to improve and revamp the entire system, while helping people in our age group at the same time. Basically, we'll be tackling hot issues and conflicts with our own viewpoints, and using the current research.

GenMed has four hosts. Scott (@scottthemedic) is an emergency responder and paramedicine student in Canada. Meris (@medic61) is an EMT/FF and nursing student from Virginia. Natalie (@MsParamedic) is a critical care paramedic, preceptor, and pre-med student from Louisiana. And last but not least, yours truly, the CNA and RT student from Texas.

So, what can you do to help? Be sure to follow the show on Twitter (@genmedshow); this is probably the easiest way to find updates about progress of upcoming shows, etc. Once the website/blog for the show are up and running, I'll be sure to drop a link here. The main thing here is FEEDBACK. Did I say feedback? Yeah, feedback. We want to hear from you, about anything from opinions, questions, upcoming guest spots on the show...whatever is on your mind. (Contact us at genmedshow@gmail.com.) Also, as most of you know, social media is an excellent means of spreading word on what is new on the horizon. So, help us out with retweets, mentions, and tell your friend, your cousin, and your uncle Bob.

Due to schedule conflicts, we're not yet certain the date of the first podcast, but we figure it will be up sometime within the next month, so keep your eyes and ears open!

On a side note, for those of you who would like to know a little more about the show, I will be appearing tomorrow night, 12/10/09, as guest on the Doctor Anonymous Show on BlogTalkRadio at 8pm CST/9 PST. Come over and join us, will you?

Thanks for the support! You guys are awesome! Feel free to contact us at the email address above, on any of our twitter account, or as a comment on our blogs.

blog comments powered by Disqus