Spiga


Trau·ma  Junk· ie  ( 'trau-m&  'j&[ng]-kE) n. Slang
  1. One who has an insatiable interest, devotion or addiction to responding and assisting people with serious injury or shock to the body, as from violence or an accident.

Taking Steps to Cure Cystic Fibrosis

In the short since I started this blog, I've met a lot of interesting people via Twitter and throughout the blogosphere. I had no idea on that day back in July when I received my acceptance letter to Respiratory Therapy school and decided to create "Surviving RT School," both as a creative outlet and a place for me to stand on my soapbox about various issues that I would find so many people with similar interests, generally focused on the improvement of themselves through school and the advent of better patient care. I never knew that such a diverse group of people existed, all writing of different things, but really, united for a common cause-- the improvement of health through education and advances in patient care.

In reading a lot of RT-related blogs and websites, I've learned quite a bit about what it is like to live with chronic respiratory diseases, and most notably, I've met some excellent bloggers who are affected by some of the different diseases that fall under the category of COPD, or Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease.

I come across these blogs in different ways, but most often it occurs as discovering a blog on the blogroll of a blog I currently read. I share with you today, The Schellenberg's 3 A's. That is, Alli, Ashley, and Adoption. What's this have to do with Cystic Fibrosis? Well, Ashley is a brave little 3-year-old girl with Cystic Fibrosis. Needless to say, it has been a struggle for the entire family as they have watched young Ashley battle this illness for which there is no cure.


That's a picture from Ashley at Christmas time, and looking at her, you'd never know that she was victim to such a terrible disease, noted by incessant coughing, copious phlegm production, and frequent infections due to an inability to expectorate mucus and sputum.

Anyways, I mentioned that I usually come across these blogs by way of another blogger, and my good friend Marcus over at the RT Student Blog introduced me to this blog. The Schellenbergs' blog got him thinking about how difficult and trying this disease must be for the entire family, and I'm sure a number of families worldwide. Marcus has decided that he would like to help families like the Schellenbergs, and I'm totally for that. As a matter of fact, I think this is an excellent cause.

I can only imagine what it must be like for people affected by Cystic Fibrosis, as well as it what it is like for those closest to them. Marcus has decided that he is going to start a team for an event called Great Strides, which is sponsored by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Great Strides has a wonderful tagline, "Taking steps to cure Cystic Fibrosis." Plan and simple, but such a noble cause. If you are in the Fayettville, NC area it would be great if you joined Marcus' Great Strides team and took a step toward a better tomorrow for those with CF. If you can't do this, that's fine.




You can still help. The team has a simple goal of seeking $500 in donations for this cause, and I know that this is possible. If you have a few minutes and a few dollars, I ask that you take time to help this cause.

Thanks to everyone in advance for their support in this organization and their contributions to the improvement of research for CF patients, so that those wonderful scientists and researchers may one day find a cure. If you're interested:

CLICK HERE TO DONATE

I appreciate you reading this far and showing an interest in this rare disease.

blog comments powered by Disqus