Trau·ma  Junk· ie  ( 'trau-m&  'j&[ng]-kE) n. Slang
  1. One who has an insatiable interest, devotion or addiction to responding and assisting people with serious injury or shock to the body, as from violence or an accident.

Your Web Queries

Here are some of the web searches that have brought visitors to my blog. I hope this helps those of you who searched these topics.

online respiratory therapy to nursing program: I've researched this in the past, and there is one college that is NLNAC (National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission) accredited, which is Excelsior College School of Nursing. The school requires the applicants to the distnace education nursing program be respiratory therapists, LPN/LVNs, PAs, paramedics, or other medical specialities (see detailed requirements here). All coursework is completed online at your own pace, and clinicals are done on the weekends (I think like three 16 hour shifts on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday) near the end of the program. I think you have to set up the clinical site with the school but it will usually be the major hospitals in your state...you may have to drive or fly.

how long is respiratory therapy classes: The AARC requires a minimum of a 2-year associate's degree in respiratory therapy in order to take the certification and registry exams to practice as a respiratory therapist. It used to be possible to complete a 1-year program to become a Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT), but it is my understanding that these programs have been phased out. If you're interested in going a bit further, there are BS in RT degrees (about 4 years), and I believe there are some Master's degree programs out there (around 6 years).

things to know about respiratory therapy: If you're looking into RT as a career, I'd recommend starting your search by looking at the AARC's Be an RT page as well as the U.S. Dept. of Labor's Occupational Outlook Handbook page about Respiratory Therapists. These are both very reliable sources. Of course, for a closer look at the day to day life of a respiratory therapist, you can always check out the blogs in my sidebar, like the Respiratory Therapy Cave, Respiratory Therapy 101: Just Keep Breathing, and G's Spot. There are also RT student blogs like Consciously Breathing, sometimes i breathe, RT Scribe, and the RT Student Blog (go figure, lol). It also doesn't hurt to talk to the directors of RT programs at local colleges as these guys will probably be your best resources.

ekg & cardio anatomy help: Two GREAT sites I know of: The Six Second ECG and Holomatrix Blaze 3D. The first site will allow you to click a number of cardiac rhythms and view them on a moving strip, or you can take the quiz to see how well you know your rhythms. The latter site is an AMAZING three-dimensional view of the pumping heart. You can select which portion of the heart you'd like to view and it will be highligted. Plus, there is a lot of information about what each part of the heart functions to do.

rt schools: In order to be able to work in different states and at most facilities, you'll want to attend a school that is accredited by CAAHEP. Click respiratory therapy and choose the state you're wanting to attend school in.

As always, feel free to comment if you have a different question or anything you'd like to add to my answers. If you prefer, I can be reached by e-mail at js0095001 AT gmail DOT com.

blog comments powered by Disqus