Spiga


Trau·ma  Junk· ie  ( 'trau-m&  'j&[ng]-kE) n. Slang
  1. One who has an insatiable interest, devotion or addiction to responding and assisting people with serious injury or shock to the body, as from violence or an accident.

Updates!

I know it's been a while since I posted about my life, and I just want to let everyone know how things are going. Why? Because part of me truly convinces myself that my readers are interested in the Trauma Junkie's life, although you may just be here for the class advice (if that's the case, skip over this post. lol)

School is going well. I still feel like getting a machine to handle people's complaints in a more efficient manner, but that's the only real "issue" I'm having, and I wouldn't venture to call it that. The amount of time I've been having to study is crazy, then again, we're covering ventilation, medical gas therapy, development/physiology of the cardiovascular system, and acid-base balance, all of which are pretty tricky to understand the first 150 times that you read about them. But I've pretty much got it down now. In pharmacology, we are studying the pathophysiology of infectious disease, which seems like a total repeat of the first unit we covered in Fundamentals (Standard/Transmission Based Precautions), but it is somewhat of a relief to not have to memorize 35 drugs, their dosage, side effects, et al, for a single unit. The best news is that if I can do phase I & phase II (check off with a classmate and instructor) on my lab on Friday, I won't have another lab UNTIL NEXT SEMESTER!!

Outside of school, I'm happy to say that things are excellent. I've figured out methods of how to study in less time and retain more information (this will probably be a later post), so I have a little more free time to spend with the wife and kid. My daughter is this many (2), and she is growing up sooo fast. I don't want too sappy, but damn, it really does feel like she was born yesterday. Her vocabulary is growing every day, and her newest thing is that she loves to sing. We were putting up Christmas decorations Sunday night, and she was singing Happy Birthday to Jesus (and apparently every day is her birthday because she sings it to herself every day too). Today, grandma picked her up from daycare around 1300 and they had a fun time together...to the point where she ASKED to go to bed at 7pm. That was shocking.

Moving right along, you may have noticed some changes here at Surviving RT School. I've been working on making my blog better for you, the reader, in what little amount of free time that I have these days. Changes include:
1. I added an ad for ADVANCE for Respiratory Care Practitioners to the bottom of the left sidebar. If you receive this magazine, look in the last few pages (classifieds) of the next issue, and you'll find snippets of my posts, if everything is approved. This is very exciting, because it is the first time that my blog will be syndicated in print. So, seriously, take a look, or I'll put Mucomyst under your pillow, and you don't want that. lol
2. I've spent some time formatting the appearance of the blog. I've changed the link colors to make them more visible, made the very small light grey sidebar titles a larger, black color, and added a few more services to the bottom of the right column under "Social networking sites,...." You should definitely check some of these out if you have the time. StatCounter is awesome!
3. I've added share/subscribe buttons to the bottom of each post. If you think a post is worthy of Digg, StumbleUpon, Delicious, Furl, etc., please share it with everyone. My blog mainly reaches the medical community, which it should, but if you think something is useful for everyone (or for the medical professionals), just click the button of your choice if you feel so inclined.
4. Slowly updating the list of "RT Junkies" blogs and "Other medical junkies" blogs as I remember them. For some reason, I changed templates a while back, and all of my blog links were deleted. If you were once included in the list, or you'd like to be, just leave a comment with your URL, and I'll get around to adding it ASAP (usually within a day or two).
5. Added a new comment program by Disqus which totally rocks. Recent comments are in the sidebar. The only problem I have is that none of the comments before Disqus was added are displayed. Sorry!

Coming soon (as defined by a procrastinator):
-The Surviving RT School newsletter. I haven't decided on whether it will be monthly or bi-weekly. I'll place a form to start collecting email addresses sometime within the next week or two.
-A blogroll of patient blogs. I've come across some really interesting patients who blog about life with chronic respiratory diseases like CF, asthma, etc.
-Who knows what else? I just do this stuff as it comes to me. lol

I'd like to end this post with a quote I ran across earlier. Apparently the guy who does the Motel 6 We'll leave the light on for you, is pretty smart. Here's what he says about school vs. life...I think these are definitely words to live by:

"The difference between school and life? In school, you’re taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you’re given a test that teaches you a lesson." -- Tom Bodett

blog comments powered by Disqus