Spiga


Trau·ma  Junk· ie  ( 'trau-m&  'j&[ng]-kE) n. Slang
  1. One who has an insatiable interest, devotion or addiction to responding and assisting people with serious injury or shock to the body, as from violence or an accident.

The RT Program & Keeping With the Pace

I believe, in at least one way, RT programs are like Michael Phelps and his record-breaking ability. They both fly by extremely fast. (I know, that was corny.)

But what I'm saying is that I can't believe the amount of information we've covered so far and I've only been in the program for a little over a month. Time has just flown by. I just realized this morning that, in short, I've learned:

  1. Standard and Transmission-Based Precautions
  2. General Pharmacological Principles
  3. The metric system and drug dosage calculations
  4. Normal Development and Anatomy of the adult respiratory system
  5. The cardiovascular system
  6. Bedside assessment of the patient
  7. MDI's, SVN's, and some medical gas therapy
  8. Chest X-Ray Interpretation
  9. Gas cylinder exchange
  10. How to conduct a patient interview
To someone who has no knowledge of respiratory therapy or the medical field, that may seem like nothing. But as we (students and RT's alike) know, these are some very detailed topics. These are not things that we spend one or two class periods learning and about an hour studying...our knowledge of these subjects and topics covered will help save someone's life in a couple of years. We have to study to learn, not to memorize.

I can't believe that I've finished the first month of the program. I know I still have a long way to go until I graduate, but I'm excited to have made it this far. If a month can speed by and feel like it has been about a week since I started the program, I know I'll do fine and I will be able to stick with it. When I'm bored with something, it drags on forever and ever...but that is just not the case with respiratory therapy. I think I've found my calling for at least this stage of my life.

A little life lesson can be learned here: If you are stuck between two different things, just trust your instincts. Do what your heart tells you and then go from there. Happiness will come soon after.

blog comments powered by Disqus