Spiga


Trau·ma  Junk· ie  ( 'trau-m&  'j&[ng]-kE) n. Slang
  1. One who has an insatiable interest, devotion or addiction to responding and assisting people with serious injury or shock to the body, as from violence or an accident.

Answers to your web searches:


"Only the curious have something to find."-- Anonymous


I got this idea from a post at the Respiratory Therapy Cave. The following are a list of web queries (searches) that brought people to my blog, and I'm going to do my best to answer some of them:

mnemonics for respiratory: I know of quite a few of these, and I list a number of them in a previous post on my blog. A couple more are--
Clinical Indications for Obtaining a CXR (inpatient setting):
1. Fever and sputum production
2. Positive tuberculosis skin test
3. Hemoptysis
4. Unexplained dyspnea
5. Severe, persistent cough
6. Acute, severe chest pain
I came up with: Family Physicians Help Ur Smaller Ailments. This was useful because I recently had to remember the difference between the indications for a chest x-ray in the outpatient setting and the inpatient setting. For inpatient indications (placement of an ET tube, placement of a CVP cath, placement of a pulmonary artery catheter, sudden-onset dyspnea or chest pain, elevated plateau pressure during mechanical ventilation, and a sudden drop in SpO2), I like to remember, "Extra Careful Please, She Experienced Surgery."
How about the causes of Central Bronchial Obstruction? Just remember Central Bronchial Obstruction: cancer, foreign body, mucus occlusion (plug).

cna to respiratory therapist: You don't become exempt from any of your classes because of being certified as a nurse's aide. In my opinion, it gives you an advantage over the rest of the class because chances are you have seen patients with respiratory diseases, observed RT's give breathing treatments, cared for patients with COPD and patients on oxygen. You have a heads-up from the standpoint that you don't have to be nervous when entering a pt's room because you are familiar with this. If you work closely with nurses and RTs you have a chance to ask a lot of questions when the census is low. Most programs will consider having a CNA certification as more "points" during the process of selecting applications for their RT program.

work while going to school for respiratory: It's possible, but I strongly advise against it. If you don't have to work while you are in the program or you can figure out some way to make ends meet by greatly cutting back your hours, that is what I would do. Right now I am working about 24 hours a week (two 12 hour night shifts a week on Friday and Saturday) sometimes less, and I still miss out on studying during the weekends because that is a great time to reorganize everything before the week starts. I know people that work full time during the program, and they are really struggling...but I guess it is managable. All of our instructors, 2nd year students, and the director of our program say that if you can get by the first year with working as little as possible or not at all, it is fine to bump up your hours during the second year of the program. The first year is the most important because you learn all of the basics of respiratory therapy.

how to take notes for rt class: Definitely record your lectures. I'd recommend a digital tape recorder like this one. I haven't had any problems with. As far as note-taking during lecture, there are several ways to do this. I use the Cornell note-taking method. You just have to try out different ways and find what works best for you.

dnr song nickelback: I mentioned this video a few months ago. It can be found on Youtube here. I don't know who made the video, but it is always funny to watch.


Oh, I updated a few things on my blog. I added a rather detailed disclaimer to the bottom of my blog because we were learning about legal and ethical issues in respiratory care a few days ago and I thought it would be important to be more specific than my previous disclaimer. I'm starting to add pictures and quotes to my blog to add a bit more "jazz" to them. Also, you'll notice that I added what I'm studying each week to the header of my blog, right about the most recent post. Let me know if you guys like this addition and if you think it should go or stay. I figure that way all of us student bloggers can pass questions back and forth if we are covering the same thing, or if any seasoned RTs have some advice about the topics I'm covering, etc.

Well, that's all for now. As always, let me know what you think of all the changes. Your input is very important to me.

blog comments powered by Disqus