Spiga


Trau·ma  Junk· ie  ( 'trau-m&  'j&[ng]-kE) n. Slang
  1. One who has an insatiable interest, devotion or addiction to responding and assisting people with serious injury or shock to the body, as from violence or an accident.

Feel Good

No, this isn't a post about the popular song by the Gorillaz or James Brown. Not even close.

But now that I have your attention, I'd like to give an update at the end of week two in the program.

Things are still going great. I had my first test yesterday in fundamentals class. It wasn't what I expected and I spent a lot of time covering things that weren't on the test. But I was sure to study every detail of the chapter, so I did pretty good. I don't think I could have done well if I didn't study for about four hours every day. Just when I thought I might have been studying too much, I realized I probably could have spent a little more time in some areas.

I had my second lab today, where I had to demonstrate sterile and aseptic techniques, as well as the different PPE required for the three types of transmission-based precautions. I admit it was a bit nerve-racking, but I aced it. It's great to know your stuff. As difficult as it is going to be, I'll have to continue to hit the books just as hard as I have been, if not a bit harder.

But don't get me wrong...I don't mind. The rewards of having the knowledge and knowing how to use it are wonderful. I was never one to study much in grade school or during my academic courses, but it is a good feeling to know the material in and out, instead of just being able to know enough to slide by.

Pharmacology is still interesting. This week we covered the routes of medication administration, some startling figures about medication errors , and more about drug package inserts. I have my first test on Wednesday, and I'll be sure to post something about it.

Advanced Cardio. A&P is something else. I had no idea there was so much involved in the respiratory system. I guess before you learn about it, you sort of take these type of things for granted. But, wow, the mechanics involved with breathing are amazing. I don't really have much advice for this class because I'm still trying to get a feel for it. What I have learned is that you really can't take much out of the lecture without going over (and over and over) the information at home. The class is almost three hours long and there is no way I can remember all the information without reorganizing my notes and repetitively studying something until I understand it. Flash cards are great for this class, too. I've starting using a pack of 50 index cards that I bought which were held together like a spiral notebook. I'll try to post an image of what I'm talking about later.

Next week, we're going to learn how to perform initial and shift assessments in Fundamentals, as well as how to ausculate breath sounds. I'm pretty excited about it.

Updates to follow...

blog comments powered by Disqus