Spiga


Trau·ma  Junk· ie  ( 'trau-m&  'j&[ng]-kE) n. Slang
  1. One who has an insatiable interest, devotion or addiction to responding and assisting people with serious injury or shock to the body, as from violence or an accident.

Come on July 23rd...

So, leave it to me to wish my days away, as usual.

What I mean is, on July 23rd, I have to attend an orientation session for the respiratory program I'm starting in the fall, and although it is less than two weeks away, I don't think it can get here soon enough. I've worked very hard to get into the program and I've flip-flopped between majors for about the last year and a half, sometimes losing sleep over it. I mean, when I decide to do something, I want it to be a decision that I can stick with. My wife thinks I'm the most indecisive guy she has ever met. :-/

The orientation is pretty basic. We'll cover everything boring from course advising, to uniforms, to CPR (which will be boring since I'm already certified), you know, those sort of things. But I can't wait, because it will mean I'm one step closer to beginning the program. And one step closer to beginning the program = one step closer to becoming a RT. I'm so tired of doing such tedious and seemingly pointless tasks such as helping a patient brush their teeth, taking vital signs (again and again and again), helping people to the bathroom, and so on. I know these things are important, but I never expected that I would be burnt out after two years. Although as a RCP I will still have to answer to the nurse's requests, I can't wait to finally have my own license. I work hard as a CNA, and I'd like to be held accountable for what I do.

Anyways, it seems like I'm rushing things again. I always try to relax and enjoy what is going on right now, but I'm very goal-oriented, not to mention I'm not the most patient person in certain situations.

I'm going to end my rant on a positive note. I've always been friends with everyone at the hospital (respiratory, nurses, doctors, lab)...it's like that on night shift. But since the RT's know I'm starting the program in the fall they have really went out of their way to answer my questions. So I wanted to say, you guys who are out there practicing respiratory therapy, rock. I have no idea how you can take care of 40 patients a night and do such a good job at it. If we have a problem on the floor, be it critical or not, resp. is just a phone call away. I only hope I can be that good when I graduate.

Later,

J.

blog comments powered by Disqus