Spiga


Trau·ma  Junk· ie  ( 'trau-m&  'j&[ng]-kE) n. Slang
  1. One who has an insatiable interest, devotion or addiction to responding and assisting people with serious injury or shock to the body, as from violence or an accident.

The Beginning...Of a Never-Ending Journey?

The date was June 25, 2008.

I finally received a (much anticipated) letter from the Respiratory Care Technology department at a local community college. It read, "Congratulations! You have been accepted into the Respiratory Care Technology Program which begins in Fall 2008." As I continue to read on, I think about all of the countless days of indecisiveness between respiratory therapy and nursing. My thoughts are re-directed toward the bottom of the letter, when I see two check boxes in which I am supposed to indicate whether or not I will be enrolling in the program. Is this what I really want to do? Sure. Would I be happy doing it? As far as I know, yes. Would I rather just wait until January and submit another application to the nursing program? Nope.

There. Done. It took less than a minute to place a check mark next to the word "Yes.".This is what I want to do, and I am most certain that I will be happy doing it. I mean, the profession itself is fascinating and I know there is a vast array of knowledge related to the respiratory system. In speaking to different therapists, I know that I will be busy and there is variety in this field of medicine. I have a problem with becoming bored, so that works. I've found out that RT's play an active role in both Code Blue and Rapid Response Teams, and I'm what I term a "Trauma Junkie." These are what I call people that are almost addicted to trauma, or critical care, if such is possible. Anytime a patient is heading south, I'm there the second I know about it, and I'm only a measly CNA. There really isn't a lot I can do during a rapid response or a code besides run for supplies, sit back and watch, or do chest compressions when someone else becomes worn out. But I love to watch, because you can learn so much through observation. Also, it's a rush. A feeling of intense euphoria and adrenaline...and I want nothing more than to play an active role in this sort of situation.

That sounds a bit sick, doesn't it? Who knows.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to this experience. I've heard so many times in life that everything happens for a reason, but I've never been the type to accept that sort of reasoning. I'm going to try a different approach this time around.

Hopefully, all will go in my favor. Updates to follow...

blog comments powered by Disqus